WTG Foundations Engineer (Senior/Principal)
Due to continued success and a growing demand from our clients, we are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated WTG Foundations Engineer to join our team of engineers based in Central London and Bristol.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be a highly numerate and enthusiastic individual, with an advanced degree in Civil / Structural / Mechanical / Wind Engineering, Naval Architecture or a suitable equivalent.
The WTG Foundations Engineer will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in design and engineering of primary steel for offshore wind turbine foundations. The ideal candidate will be familiar with all aspects of primary steel design and analysis for WTG foundations, including WTG and hydrodynamic loading, structural dynamics, fatigue assessment, and integrated load analysis.
This role offers an opportunity to work with some of the brightest engineers in our industry, developing and applying cutting-edge approaches and tools to deliver ground-breaking WTG foundation designs. You will be able to learn from the best and broaden your experience, whilst guiding and mentoring junior engineers to enhance SLPE's existing primary steel design capabilities. For the right candidate, there is potential for this role to develop into a leadership position for the primary steel discipline within our company.
• Extensive experience in the design and analysis of primary structures for monopile and jacket foundations for offshore wind turbines
• Proven knowledge of structural dynamics, WTG aerodynamic loading, and hydrodynamic loading on foundation structures.
• Familiarity with design processes for wind turbine foundations at both concept and detailed design phases.
• Ability to develop cost, time, resource estimates and project schedules for structural engineering scopes of work.
• Ability to manage small teams of engineers and designers to deliver specialist services to our clients, sometimes within tight timeframes.
• Extensive use of structural analysis / FEA software, e.g. SESAM, SACS, BLADED, Ansys, ABAQUS, etc.
• Experience of developing and implementing software tools to solve complex analytical / numerical problems in an efficient manner, e.g. using MATLAB, VBA, Python or C#.
• Familiarity with fracture mechanics assessment.
• Working knowledge of aero-elastic analysis methods (blade element momentum, wake modelling, and WTG control systems), and implementation of integrated load analyses.
• Provide comprehensive analysis, design, and technical review of offshore wind foundation structures for a large portfolio of international clients.
• Learn from our experts and develop your skills and experience applying cutting-edge design processes.
• Work closely with our existing team to integrate various aspects of primary steel design and deliver collaboratively on project objectives.
• Assist with the delivery of projects to deliver optimum solutions, on time and to budget.
• Attend regular internal meetings and external client or third-party meetings as required.
• Ensure deliverables are completed in accordance with client requirements and SLPE’s quality management procedures.
• Liaison with internal and external project interfaces.
• Occasional R&D projects and in-house software development.
Competencies & Soft Skills:
• Excellent interpersonal and technical skills with the confidence to liaise with clients.
• Be self-motivated, well organised, and a team player.
• Ability to work with and oversee other engineers, to manage and deliver the objectives of the team.
• Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work.
• Developed knowledge of engineering principles and practices coupled with the ability to select and apply standard guides, methods, and techniques.
• SLPE’s office is located in central London, and it is expected that some office-based working will be required for this role. However, a degree of remote and/or flexible working will be considered for the right candidate. A Bristol base is also a possibility.
• A flexible working attitude and availability to work outside normal hours if required is beneficial.
Rewards & Benefits:
On top of a competitive basic salary, we offer a number of additional core benefits. These include:
• Flexible annual leave starting at 25 days a year
• Annual discretionary bonus scheme
• Professional subscriptions, training, and support
• A flexible contributory pension scheme
• Private medical and dental insurance
• Income protection insurance
• Life assurance cover
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Generous parental leave
Salary range: up to £70,000 depending on experience