Secondary Steel Engineer (Engineer II / Senior Engineer)
Design of secondary structures for offshore wind foundations involves some of the most interesting and engaging engineering challenges of our industry. Due to ongoing success and growing demand from our clients, SLPE are seeking a motivated and forward-thinking engineer to specialise in the design of secondary steel for our offshore wind projects. It is anticipated that the candidate will join at Engineer II or Senior Engineer level, depending on experience.
Who we’re looking for:
The ideal candidate will have significant experience of designing secondary steel structures for offshore wind projects, such as internal and external platforms, boat landings and ladders, gates and handrails.
Secondary steel design often involves development of novel and innovative solutions, so an aptitude for problem solving and development of creative design ideas is desirable; this should be combined with an awareness of fabrication and installation practicalities.
You will be familiar with structural design software used in the offshore wind industry, ideally the Sesam suite, and be comfortable with typical analyses such as ULS, FLS, wave loading, etc.
A general familiarity with offshore wind foundations design is beneficial, especially in relation to interfaces between secondary structures and other disciplines such primary steel and electrical design. Depending on your level of experience, you may be confident presenting to clients and may be comfortable leading packages of work and mentoring junior engineers.
What we offer:
This role offers an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest engineers in our industry, as part of a supportive and collaborative team dedicated to innovation and excellence. You will be able to develop your offshore wind experience, as well as your technical, management, and leadership skills, while working for a forward-thinking, friendly, and flexible team pushing the boundaries of offshore wind design. This role could progress towards a technical specialist role, or towards a technical leadership or project leadership role, depending on your strengths and preferences.
SLPE deliver world-leading projects, based on cutting-edge design processes and capabilities, and we have fun doing it. If you are motivated, enthusiastic, and willing to learn, this could be the role for you.
• Working with our existing experienced secondary steel engineers to develop efficient and innovative designs for secondary structures on our wind turbine and substation foundations design projects
• Contributing to the development of our secondary structures design capabilities, including supporting junior engineers and assisting with in-house R&D and software development
• Working collaboratively with other technical disciplines involved with our design projects, such as primary steel and electrical design
• Preparation of high-quality design deliverables, including both written design reports and 2D drawings (supported by SLPE’s CAD team)
• Significant experience in the design of secondary steel for offshore structures, ideally in offshore wind
• Familiarity with offshore structural design software, ideally the Sesam suite of software
• Familiarity with typical design criteria and analysis approaches for secondary steel design, including ULS, FLS, SLS, and lift analysis of structures in air and water
• Familiarity with structural detailing, such as design of welded and bolted connections
• Familiarity with applicable design standards, in particular Eurocode standards for steel and aluminium design
• We anticipate a minimum of 4 years’ engineering experience working in design of offshore structures
• A Masters degree in Civil / Structural / Mechanical Engineering, or a suitable equivalent
• A Chartered Engineer, or working towards chartership
• Design of secondary steel specifically for wind turbine foundations
• Familiarity with typical requirements of offshore wind foundation projects, including the impact that fabrication and installation have on the design of secondary structures
• Familiarity with finite element analysis software, ideally Ansys
• Experience using coding/scripting to automate design processes
• Experience supporting the production and review of 2D design drawings and 3D models
• Experience leading or facilitating the work of technical engineering teams, reviewing deliverables, managing schedules, etc.
• Experience guiding and mentoring junior engineers, and overseeing their work in relation to project deliverables
• Proven communication skills, including interacting confidently with clients
• Demonstration of excellent organisational skills, attention to detail, and a rigorous approach to the management of quality
Competencies and Soft Skills:
• Excellent interpersonal and technical skills, with a strong focus on collaboration
• Be self-motivated, well organised, and a team player
• Think creatively to solve problems, while keeping an awareness of practicalities
• Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work
• Excellent technical comprehension, with the ability to quickly understand technical issues and explain them to others
• This role will be based in either London or Bristol. SLPE currently operates on a hybrid working basis, with staff typically expected to attend the office a minimum of 2-3 days per week. For a Bristol-based candidate, regular travel to SLPE’s main office in central London will be required, for which expenses will be reimbursed.
Rewards & Benefits:
On top of a competitive basic salary, we offer a number of additional core benefits. These include:
• Flexible annual leave starting at 25 days a year
• Annual discretionary bonus scheme
• Professional subscriptions, training, and support
• A flexible contributory pension scheme
• Private medical and dental insurance
• Income protection insurance
• Life assurance cover
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Generous parental leave